I do love Pinterest and I am on it all the time. It is hard to believe it has only been around for 3 years.
And yet I talk to people who don't use it, or worse, don' t know what it is. Really????!!!
So for those of you that don't know, Pinterest is a " pinboard-style photo-sharing website that allows users to create and manage theme-based image collections such as events, interests, and hobbies", according to Wikipedia. Launched in March 2010, this popular social network service allows users to save and categorize images by simply 'pinning' them onto themed boards.
Here's a snapshot of some of my boards. You can follow all of them here.
By December 2011, Pinterest was ranked as one of the top 10 largest social networking websites. Users are mainly women uploading, saving, sorting and managing images in popular categories such as Food and Drink, DIY and Crafts, Woman's Apparel, Home Décor and Travel.
Hours can pass by while I browse the numerous boards I follow. (The average user spends 90 minutes per month on the site.)
I currently have 32 boards with over 750 pins and use it for lots of different things. Here's how I use my Pinterest boards.
1. For Inspiration - I am a sucker for beautiful photography and use these gorgeous images as inspiration for floral arrangements, table settings, fashion and more.
|From my Flowers Board|
2. To Gather Ideas - If I won the lottery and could renovate my kitchen, I would reference all of the images I have collected in My Dream Kitchen Board.
3. To Do Research - When working on an office project, I will often search the topic I am referencing. I was working on a pillow program for a home décor collection and I searched ' Modern Textile Designs' to see what colours and patterns were trending.
4. To Store and Save Information - I love that I can 'pin' an image and I can easily find it when I need it. No need to keep or search through a pile a papers. Great DIY instructions are always at my fingertips...
|DIY Dyed Guest Towel from houseandhome.com|
5. Save Recipes - I like to try new and different recipes and when I come across a mouth watering recipe, I pin it so I can try it at a later date.
|I still haven't tried this Fingerling Potato and Crispy Bacon Pizza from Noelbarnhurst.com|
6. For Collaboration - I set up a board to gather information for a friend's dinner party. She was able to follow this board and add some of her ideas as well. We could do this on our own time without meeting face to face.
|My Tropical Party Idea Board|
7. Shhhh - Did you know there are secret boards? If I am planning a surprise event or collecting ideas for Christmas gifts, a secret board is perfect. ( I can't show you this one.)
8. Making Lists - I have a board call 'The List'. I use it to pin things I would like as a gift. Family can check it out when they are stuck for a gift for me...hint, hint.
|Wishing for Barbara Barry's Book|
9. Follow People with Similar Tastes - I have 170 people following me and I am following 59 people. Once a week I get an email suggesting pins I might like.
|Sande Chase is one of my favourite pinners|
Sande Chase, ( who I don't know ) pins a lot and has a great sense of style. I like almost all of her pins.
10. To Admire Beautiful Things - I have a board called 'Beautiful' and it is for images that really don't belong in any category but that are just beautiful.
|From my Beautiful Board|
So if you haven't been on Pinterest or haven't used it much, give it a try. But I am warning you, it is addictive.